Sunday, February 7, 2010

Answers

I was about to type this all up in a comment, but it seems it grew to the level of a mini-post. So here are some answers to the comments posted regarding the hand I put up yesterday.

1. To date I have not played much online. I have tried several times in the past to ramp up my online activity, but things always seem to get in the way. I'm actually trying to get serious about it and play "every day" which seems to result in me playing at least "almost every day". My hand numbers are pitiful by online pro standards, but we all have to start somewhere.

2. I prefer playing live because...well, I just do. I am a social person and actually enjoy interacting with people. At least the friendly ones. Playing online feels like a video game to me and hurts my brain/wrist/eyes without fail within 60 minutes. I think I can correct two of these problems, but the brain one is troublesome.

3. I use http://www.handconverter.com/ or the converter on twoplustwo.com to post my hand, then just copy and past the output to my blog.

4. It is commonly accepted that online games are MUCH more difficult than live ones. The reasons for this are numerous and varied. I have decided to play 3/6 online until I am confident that I am solid winner, which hasn't happened yet. The games are very, very different (not only are players better, but their common leaks are of a different variety).

5. I play 2-3 tables at once, and yes, according to the 6 months living expenses and 500 big bets rule am rolled for games much higher than 40/80.

6. I am mostly playing 3/6 online in an effort to eventually get my potential online win rate to approach and then surpass my live one. Obviously to do this I need to move up, add tables, and win. Thus far from from .50/$1.00 to $5.00/$10.00 I am almost exactly a 1BB/100 winner.

4 comments:

The blindman said...

1BB/100 is a pretty decent winrate. Rakeback etc should add at least as much again.

I actually find it difficult to discern the difference in standard between, say 1/2 and 5/10 online (admittedly mostly at smaller sites, not Stars and Tilt). Except, of course that the rake is generally horrific at the smaller stakes.

jesse8888 said...

There is definitely tougher opposition as you move up through the ranks on FullTilt.

The blindman said...

Yeah, I guess that's why I don't play much on Tilt. You Americans have it tough!

TomB said...

First, thanks for answering my questions. I somehow stumbled across your blog several weeks ago and find it fascinating.

John Patrick (if you know who he is, and whatever people otherwise think about his advice) says to gamble successfully you need what he terms “The Big Four”: Bankroll, Knowledge, Money Management and Discipline. [He also posits “The Little Three”: Theory, Logic and Trends]. Apparently, there are many so-called professional poker players that have great skill, but lack money management and discipline (think, for the latest example, T.J. Cloutier pawning his WSOP bracelet). It’s pretty evident from my cursory reading of your blog that you have money management and discipline, the most important “Two” of the “Big Four” and what really separates the men from the boys. For that reason alone, I’ll keep reading and maybe post some additional comments. Thanks, again.