Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Jesse Swims a Marathon

On Saturday night Danielle and I went to a spaghetti dinner fund raiser to support her friend Elizabeth's effort to raise $5000 for the AIDS/LifeCycle Ride to end AIDS.  It got me to thinking about how I used to swim in the Abilities United Aquathon every year but had to skip it in 2012 for a wedding, and how good it usually makes me feel to do something difficult or good (or both).  So I decided I'm going to do something about it and try to help her out.  The event is a 545 mile bike ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and while there is a zero percent chance I could make it halfway through such an endeavor, I am well qualified for a different type of endurance task.  So as Elizabeth is biking down the coast from June 2nd-8th of this year, I'm going to be in the pool, attempting to cover 26.2 miles (a standard marathon) in those same 7 days.

No, I haven't been in the pool training for years now, and yes it's going to be pretty tough for me to pull this off.   I'll post training updates here, and when the rubber hits the road so to speak I'll update you on my progress day by day (maybe even session by session...this could require 2 a days) as well. There is a chance I will fail.  If there wasn't, it wouldn't be hard and I wouldn't .be as excited to try.  And here comes the pitch....

If you've enjoyed my blog, or even if you hate it but can't bring yourself to look away, sort of like watching a train wreck, and agree that this is a good cause, please consider making a donation on Elizabeth's personal page.  Donations of any size will be graciously accepted.  And if this isn't your cup of tea, that's fine too.  I promise we'll get back to our regularly scheduled programming of me misreading the board in preposterous ways just as soon as possible.  

No comments: