Tuesday, March 5, 2013

And Yet I Still Wonder

Today I played so many hands so badly that I find it to be a small miracle that I'm even still in action, let alone a respected pro that a lot of people look up to. I mean, I just played...so...fucking...bad.  It was beyond reason.  Nitty prop guy capped it, then checked the flop of AQ3 3 ways, so what did I do with the ten and the ten?  I fired a bet out there.  Am I bluffing?  I better be, because I am losing 114% of the time here, and when he c/r why did I peel?  Did I really want to hit the jackpot that badly?  I must have because I certainly can't win the pot.  When other super duper nitty guy checked back the 976-3 turn after c-betting the flop, why did I bet the 9 river?  What exactly was I hoping he'd call my pair of 6s with?  I mean, really.  It's an awful awful bet that he's going to play so close to perfectly against it blows my mind that I even considered making it, let alone actually fired it.  Sure it's preposterous, but I really do need to check call, check check, check/fold a pair there.  I do, I really just do he's that awful and by not doing so I'm sinking to his level and letting him off the hook for no reason whatsoever.  And when he checked back the A63 flop after three betting me preflop, what exactly was I hoping to accomplish by check/raising the 5 turn and betting the deuce river with A8?  Again, he's playing perfectly....He showed me the Ace and the Ten, obviously.  If he'd had the king and the king even he'd have snap folded to my check/raise.  I have to stop going for thin value against this idiots and commence bluffing them relentlessly.  It is the only way.  Or when I opened AQ otb and the blinds defended and the sb donked the KT3 flop and said "raise me!" after the big blind just called I...raised him?  Really Jesse?  Really?  Stone cold fish I was there.  You check/raise me on the KT3-4ddd turn?  I will showdown red eights.  Why not, I could win sometimes right?  OK actually that one was pretty much fine, and when I started writing this post I had more hands in mind wherein I played like total garbage but they are now escaping me.  The point is that I've lost $20k straight and honestly I think I'm pretty far off my A game and might be in need of a break.

7 comments:

avoidthe9to5 said...

fwiw i already had an almost 300BB downswing this year and somehow am well back into the green again...

I think these types of swings are more common than we realize

Curto said...

I'm just a lowly $8-16 part-timer but I, too, had a session on Tuesday where I played terribly and knew it while it was happening (yet escaped with a break-even session due to 8-16 LOLygaggers). For what it's worth, reading a post like that from you helps us wannabes. So, like, thanks and stuff.

Anonymous said...

To spray off 20k I'm assuming you were playing 100/200 LHE? Approximately how much (chips) does one typically sit down with at a 100/200 table? I would love to give it a try some dayyyyy, maybe, probably not.

jesse8888 said...

LOL I wish it was all 1/2. In fairness something close to half of it is, but the rest was in games that are substantially smaller.

Anonymous said...

Well I'm sure it takes a strong will to stomach such big swings...maybe one day you can write a blog about mass swings you have experienced and big up and down swings you have witnessed from other players, im sure that would be an interesting read and I'm sure you have witnessed some crazy things...also losing the value of a dollar after such crazy ups and downs....like losing 20k one day then getting a call from desperate friend needing just $500 dollars how would someone react...That would be an awesome read from your POV...jst saying, anyways gl in the future

Anonymous said...

Lol i just realized that is exactly what your blog is all about( swings) ....never mind lolol.....ok let me ask u this, what do you think about a regular 20/40 commerce player, jumping to 1/2 for the first time just for the hell of it to see what it's like

avoidthe9to5 said...

just let him know when you are going to play so he can play with you, obviously.

taking an arbitrary 1/2 shot is generally not a suggested idea