Monday, December 3, 2012

Random Musings

So like I said that last post didn't really go as far/well as I'd hoped.  The basic idea that I was trying to make is that a lot of times you see these live pros (and I'm one of them) whose play doesn't really seem to be that driven by game theory.  Yet somehow they win, and that sort of offends the super duper math freak guys.  It's like there are tools and methods that we don't use, so therefore we shouldn't be allowed to win.  And that's just not the case.  Of course I think about game theory when I play, but in a lot of spots and against a lot of opponents (the vast majority of both for me lately, with my push top to play against super soft opposition) it simply doesn't apply and all the further I need to go is "will he fold a lot here" and if the answer is no I simply don't need to ever be bluffing.  I'm still not sure if that makes much sense, but it's close to what I meant to say in the last post.

So now for some random musings.

For the first time in a while I actually read (most of) Peter King's Monday Morning Quarterback.  Good lord that guy pecks out a lot of words, but he used some of them to talk about Charlie Batch, and to be honest I just simply cannot get enough of that guy.  Maybe it's because all I have to compare him to is a rapist and a guy who looks like a chipmunk and broke his ribs when he tripped, but I find it impossible not to love Charlie Batch with ever fiber of my being.  He has been a backup QB in Pittsburgh for A DECADE!  That is nearly unheard of in the NFL, and to boot all he does is show up and play one or two games every one or two years and rattle off simply impossible wins.  They beat Baltimore this week, in what had to be one of the biggest regular season wins in Steeler's history.  The Ravens had won 137 straight (ok, ok...15) games at home, and hadn't lost a division game since sometime in 2010.  Sure sure, they were missing Ray Ray and were a little banged up, but not like the Steelers.  That game should have been over midway through the second quarter, but you just can never count Charlie Batch out of anything.  When he was crying on the sidelines after the game, hugging Ben, I actually teared up myself.  That man is a god damned American hero, and he is unequivocally the best 3rd string quarterback in the history of the NFL.  I will hear no argument.

Next musing...have you ever had a terrible realization about yourself when driving in the car spawned by a death match between two competing songs on the radio?  You're flipping through the dial and a song you kind of like, even thought maybe you really liked, is on one station, and some new catchy song that you shouldn't really like that much at all because doing so brings into question your very manhood is on another and well...bam....the wrong song wins?  That's been happening to me a lot lately.  I'm not going to tell you which songs were involved because as I said my manhood would be brought into question, but it's been bad.  Very bad.

Danielle and I played some open faced chinese poker last night, and it was a lot of fun.  And yes, we took the rules straight out of that article.  If you're looking for a fun two player card game for your and your spouse, honestly give it a shot.  It's super hard, you'll both be awful at it, and there's enough luck that she'll probably beat you.

I guess that's about it.  I continued to light the felt of the tables I sat at actually on fire from the friction of all the chips being pushed in my direction today, so that was nice, and my fantasy football team has pulled to 7-6 and has an outside shot of making the playoffs, even though Antonio Gates is a worthless piece of crap.

2 comments:

AdamStover01 said...

Charlie Batch is a goddamned hero. Ravens fans tears have been amazing.

jesse8888 said...

The only bad part is that now any ravens loss is a pats win, and that cuts me very, very deeply.