Friday, March 12, 2010

The Rake of Life

It's been said that in the poker game of life, women are the rake. I never really got that expression. Does the author just mean that spending money on women without much to show for it is the cost of doing business? Makes no sense to me.

In the poker game that is my life, traffic is the rake. I think people in LA have actually found a way to drive multiple cars at the same time. It's really the only plausible explanation for how fucked the 5 is 23 hours a day.

3 comments:

Captain R said...

You know that's from Rounders, right? I think they're implying that the rake is the oppressive, inevitable, constant drain on every dollar that you make.

jesse8888 said...

I knew it was in Rounders, but I assumed it was coined before then. Either way, I'm sticking with traffic.

J said...

Do not ever take the 5 between Anaheim and the 710 unless you absolutely have to. It's been under construction for the last 10 years and is like that 24/7. At least go 22 to 605N to get past most of the clusterfuck.