Tuesday, January 5, 2010

IMR

One night I was talking to Babar on g-chat and used the phrase "I mean really" at the end of a sentence. He liked it, saying that it's uses seemed almost boundless in terms of adding emphasis to a statement. Here's the conversation, which mind you was held after midnight pacific:

12:23 AM me: that's awful
I don't know why we fought so hard to get Texas back
BBB: lool
me: i mean really
BBB: im posting that on 2p2
12:24 AM me: fair
12:26 AM lmk where
BBB: nc thread med stakes
done
12:29 AM crossposted
to small steaks
the 'i mean really'
is the best part idk why
12:30 AM me: you can fry just about anytihng I guess

5 minutes
12:36 AM BBB: i mean really
it adds so much power
to anything
DANIELLE WE'RE LATE FOR THE MOVIE.
12:37 AM I MEAN REALLY.
WE ARE LATE.
12:39 AM me: A good point you make
He 3-bet me with the 53 soooted
i mean really
53 sooted
12:40 AM BBB: lol
lol
lol
me: it seems like it could have boundless uses
BBB: so far i would describe it as full of win
i mean really
jam-packed chock-full
12:41 AM me: once again
[x] win
12:42 AM BBB: +1
see, staying up late is easy
just banter and trade inanities on instant messenger
i mean really, what more could you want?
12:46 AM me: nothing more
I'm catching up on my mid steaks posting
my dog is snoring
i mean really
he's snoring something fierce
BBB: record that shit
and put it in youtube obvies
12:47 AM lol i just saw
that u typed it
lol

So we started using it on two plus two in acronym form. At first people kind of ignored it. I'd just put IMR at the end of a sentence and they were probably reading it just as an exclamation point, which is basically accurate. Then a few people started to ask, and somebody said that he couldn't find it on Urban Dictionary. Well that we had to fix. So ladies and gentleman, I give you my first Urban Dictionary submission, the definition of IMR. Yes I know there is a typo, but I actually think that kind of adds something to it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your definition of IMR!

Editors reviewed your entry and have decided to publish it on urbandictionary.com.

It should appear on this page in the next few days:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=IMR

Urban Dictionary

-----

IMR

I mean really

This phrase is used in online forums and blogs to add emphasize and sarcasm to a statement simultaneously:

Questioner: "Why did you raise the turn?"
Answerer: "I had 3 pair. IMR, 3 pair!"

1 comment:

Andrew said...

You should get a mug.