Friday, January 2, 2009

Good Old Fashioned Poker Hands

I realized I've gotten away from talking about the hands that I play, which is probably one of the things that the average person reading this enjoys the most. So, here are some hands that I played with a brief description and a link to discussion on two plus two:

Hand 1 - I contemplate a river donk bluff

In this hand I open-raised KT of clubs and got 3-bet by a somewhat nitty but probably overall winning prop player. His range of possible hands could be narrowed so substantially just from his 3-bet preflop that I elected to play a strong flush draw incredibly passively because I figured he was showing down just about his entire range on just about any board. The flop came down:

J53 with two clubs

I just checked and called him. The turn was a brick, and I checked and called again. On the river an Ace hit. I checked, but posted the hand above as if I bet. The question on the bet is this...what hands will he fold? He's got a pair of some sort, and he should just call me and show it down. But might he fold, say, pocket Queens? What about pocket Tens? Are pocket 8s in his range preflop? Pretty mathy stuff :)

Hand 2 - I get into a mess with Q5o from the big blind

In this hand I get a free look at the flop from the big blind. I hold a red Queen and the 5 of spades and get a flop of:

QJT with two spades

I imploy the "check and see" line, three other players check, and the button bets. The button is a maniac whose range consists of practically anything you can imagine that improves the board in any describable fashion, plus some other stuff that doesn't. The small blind calls, and I raise it. One player folds, but somebody takes two cold and the button and small blind both call.

On the turn the 9 of spades hits the board. I check, basically surrendering any claim to the pot. I mean, that's the worst freaking card in the deck...or so I thought. The only thing is, the street checks through. The river brings the King of Spades (which is the actual worst card in the deck), making the final board:

9TJQK with 4 spades

The small blind checks, I check, the cutoff bets (he's the player who called two cold on the flop), and then the button and small blind fold.....I have a baby flush in a pretty sizable (7.5 big bets) pot, but make the lay down. Correct? It was hard for me to believe he didn't have a big flush here the overwhelming majority of the time. Players don't just bluff into 3 opponents on the river. The advice I got on two plus two basically came down on the side of folding, but there were some dissenting opinions. Also, some people wanted me to drop the hand on the flop.

No comments: