Saturday, May 4, 2013

Swimming Report

One thing I hadn't really taken into account was just big of a pain in the ass it is to try and swim a legitimate workout in the pool in our community.  The 24h fitness pools can be crowded (and one time I even got kicked out by a water aerobics class) but at least there are lane lines, pace clocks, and no little kids splashing around trying to get themselves clobbered (except that one time).  Seriously, a lot of people don't realize this but collisions with someone of mass actually swimming at a reasonable rate of speed can be rather violent, especially because their pointy parts are flailing all about in every which direction.  Growing up I saw not one but two foot bones broken during swim practice, just from a simple breast stroke kick.  I guess the point is that I weigh 170 pounds and even if I'm only going 2 miles per hour if my head slams into your head it's not gonna be good for anybody.  The last time I tried to swim down there there must have been 10 kids running around, and they just don't get the picture.  I'm trying to swim in the three feet of pool next to the wall and well...yeesh.  And no pace clock...not cool.  Also very sunny;  I'm getting a nice tan that I don't really want.

But it's good.  I should be able to make the 26.2 miles physically, and am now just sweating the mental side of things.  Conservatively I need to be in the water for an hour twice a day all 7 days to get this thing done; and that's a lot of boredom, a lot of driving, and an awful lot of patience.

Life otherwise is pretty good I guess.  I had more to say but I don't seem to have any idea where it went :)

No comments: