Monday, November 28, 2011

2-3 Whack A Mole

I got to work like 25 minutes early today and grabbed a seat in a 7 handed 2-3 nl game. I ended up only playing a single orbit, but did have a revelation. The game is basically whack a mole. Think about it. Your basic goal is to sit there and be patient enough to out wait your opponents. If you succeed, eventually one of them will stick his pointy little head with it's beady little eyes out for a breath of fresh air, and hopefully you'll be waiting for him with aces or a set or some other such monstrosity and just pummel him into submission. That pretty much sums up how I play that game, and about how much I respect the strategy required to beat it. I'm not saying no limit hold 'em isn't a difficult and rich game the way it's intended to be played. But when half the table has like 40 big blind stacks and is willing to call like 20% of their stacks pre-flop with pretty much any describable hand, well, then you've got yourself a hip hoppin' game of 2-3 whack a mole!

4 comments:

Alan H. said...

amen

Oren said...

yes - thats a good description of low stakes SS loaded NL.
When I sit in a limit game (6/12 or 8/16) waiting for a NL seat it looks like Tiddlywinks to me with everyone collectively flinging chips in the middle...

Pid Koker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pid Koker said...

I'm learning to play NL again, and I find that reading books and learning theory is significantly more interesting than sitting at an average low stakes table. If you're at a table where the conditions aren't right (nittery, card deadness), then playing low stakes unlimited hold thems is the equivalent of group paint drying watching.